Why? Get students to focus on current topics
How? Remove the capability to start new discussions and reply for the student role
Similar uses: Archive a glossary, wiki or database activity
Have you ever wanted to keep a forum for students to read, but prevent any more new posts or replies. Well, you can do exactly that by "Archiving" the forum.
To archive a forum, follow these steps:
- Click on the forum activity you wish to archive
- Click on the Permissions link in the Administration block
- In the filter field, near the top of the page, type start. (This should filter the results to show only the Start new discussions capability.)
- To the right of this capability, look for the word Student (NOT Student-Teacher!).
- Click on the X to the RIGHT of the word Student.
- Confirm the role change by clicking on [Remove].
- Use the filter field, again, so search for replypost (one word) (This should filter the results to show only the Reply to posts capability.)
- Repeat steps 4-6.
- Confirm your changes have worked switching to the student role:
- return to the forum page (using the Breadcrumbs at the top of the page will get you there fast).
- Notice that the [Add a new discussion topic] button is still visible at this point.
- From the forum page, Click on Switch role to... under the Administration block, and chose Student.
- When the forum page refreshes, you should no longer see the [Add a new discussion topic] button.
- Click on any forum post, and confirm that there is no Reply link.
- You can now return to your normal role, using Switch role to...